CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Senin, 15 Desember 2008

How bad is being Javanese?

In the late of this century, many believe that the race discrimination is not a problem anymore. Well, there is no exact suppression on the minor ethnic in many areas in the world. Black and White can live together and enroll each position in many field, it is well supported by the winning of Barack Obama in the US election that prove the equality among many ethnics.

However, for me this discrimination is actually still becoming a problem. At least for me as a minor community now in Makassar, one of the city in South Sulawesi, Indonesia. As a new comer here, I absolutely don’t have any idea about people’s culture and habit. I thought it’s not gonna be so hard to adjust since this is in still Indonesia. In fact, it’s totally not true. It’s so hard to adjust with people here.

Lets first talk about the social life here, as long as I know, there are 3 ethnics here which are Bugis, Makassar and Javanese. Most Javanese works in low level likes vendors, sellers in the traditional market and food stall owner. It is like the position of Maduranese in Java that mostly works in traditional market with a rude character. Here, the greeting “Mas” will be refers to the vendors or people that u can ask for help in many buildings. When my father (who is Bugis) saw someone who performs little bit messy, he said “you are just like mas-mas ” which reflects that Mas – mas always be so messy. As my friend here told me, the customers usually calls the seller by “mas” just because the sellers are mostly Javanese.

Today, I met the Head of trade and industry field in Makassar. My friend said he is Javanese, so I asked him “are you from Java”. His face is turned unfriendly while saying ‘ummh, yes I am from Java, but I need to to emphasize that I am from Jakarta’ (Jakarta reflects to the most modern part in Indonesia). I can see from his eyes that he doesn’t want to be considered as Javanese. Then, I started to ask myself ‘is it bad being Javanese here’

I don’t mean to be so sensitive in responding many phenomenons that I found during my new living here. But those make me remember that in many parts in the world, perhaps there are still negative stereotype that stigmatizes certain community or ethnics. Like how people in Columbia warns me to be careful with Black because they usually are sensitive because of their hard condition. Or how my parents warns me to not have relation with some certain ethnic because they usually have more than two wives.

At the end, I come to the conclusion that I am so proud of everything I have in my life. Ethnics doesn’t mean anything except the heritage. So who cares that you are Javanese, Chinese, Bugis, Makassar, Sundanese or Maduranese? I think only a man with a narrow mind can categorize people in such boxes.

7 komentar:

Ndez mengatakan...

let me be the first commentator..

[1] that's not ethnic discrimination. the title of 'mas' which refers to the low level of society is formed by the past. The Javanese usually working as street vendor and brothers...

[2]don't worry of being Javanese. there are many positives character of this ethnic, such as Hard worker, calm, hospitalize.

[3] geographically JAvanese and Jakartanese is not different. they both located in Java... but the habit of people in jakarta turns it. Java for then refers to the sentral java... so, if jakartanese mudik to magelang n brothers, they will say ' mo plg ke jawa dulu'....

[4] If one ethnic identical with one habit... in one part, it can be true, but we cannot judge it's the habit of one particular ethnic. so just believe the person u r gonna marry with... ignore their ethnic n nationality (not their religion).

- just sharing -
the Chinese in my place are commonly victimized by the other ethnic. the Chinese are commonly have a lot money [since they dominated the economy sector], so the 'premans' always take a benefit from them. the price of KTP will be raised up if the Chinese applies. the Chinese will be dikeroyok if he hits man on the road.. can we conclude this as ethnic discrimination??

the title 'mas' commonly popular in my place... we use this for people unknown to say 'permisi' or saying sorry. it's not anymore for tukang es, or tukang bakso...

and there is FORBIDDEN CITY in my place.. there's an ethnic that cannot enter this place or can be killed.

sereeem yah???

dewiputri mengatakan...

thanks for the first comment... it makes my blog more complete ha ha ha...

well, it's perhaps only my sensitive feeling in the middle of new environment here.

but let's discuss about the word 'discrimination'. it's the different treatment for specific group.

it's true that what happen here is not real discrimination like the slavery in the past, but still i can call it "invisible discrimination" since their different treatment on mas - mas here or identifying Javanese as a street vendors or food stall seller or identifying that a vendors always Javanese.

and you bring a prove on Chinese in your place that get a different treatmentfrom preman, local goverment and local community. Isn't it still a discrimination??

make a correction if I'm wrong...

Mariamellie mengatakan...

Well.. I like this article a lot! so alive and smart. Btw, how can people box people in two extreme category as black and white, while colors indeed have rich collection. If I can categorize myself, then my color would be 'Caramel' which reflects the sweetness of my personality. :)

Me myself are mixed of Banjar, Bugis, Kutai. My mother says Banjar people are the Lazy ones, Bugis are the hardworker and innovative people as trader and merchant, while Kutai are 'Lebay'.

However, it is very narrow to judge people by ethnicity or skin color. I am a rich Indonesian with rich influences from the rest of the world and from rich spirituality of the east and west.

People should look into individual richness instead.

Congratz for your writing. You should send it to jakarta post the sunday one or the culture one, because I see there are so many articles like this tone you wrote.

Unknown mengatakan...

wah, puter.. discrimination exists ya. no matter how hard we try minimizing it, it's still there indeed. i personally hate discrimination. but for me, race and gender discrimination are among the worst. ahaha,remember? i AM nur azizah's daughter:D.

how bad is being javanese? nothing! how bad is being chinese? nothing either!
how bad is being black? no, no, nothing's wrong!

it is not the race or skin color or sex that differ people and make them look better or worse. it is the attitude!


but thank God we live today right? i thank god for that:). i live today, among discriminative people -little or much- but i know a lot of people outside there have the same idea with us:)

and btw tante ellie, i can't believe you call your skin caramel:D. that's sooooooo cute, ahahaha


ah, ps putri, i can't believe u just leave that "I AM FROM JAKARTA LOH" silly man peacefully. ahahaha... at least, i'd say "OOOO...JAKARTA SEKARANG UDAH PINDAH SEBELAHAN SAMA KRAKATAU PAK? DI SELAT SUNDA??"

dewiputri mengatakan...
Komentar ini telah dihapus oleh pengarang.
dewiputri mengatakan...

ok ms caramel (tetep narcist ya bu'..)
I can't also say that I am purely javanese.. I am mixed of Javanese, Bugis and little bit Sumatra..
but I spent most of my life time in Java then I decided to call myself Javanese (ha ha isn't that crazy,, how can i decide my ethnic ?? ethnic is a heritage rite..?)
that's because actually I thought that race didnt matter..
in fact, it is still a matter
like upi said, yes, a discrimination is still there, less or much..

that's perhaps one group of people considere themselves "the most bla bla bla" than others..

btw, upi i left "that man " peacefully and happily because I am javanese that is so.... polite..
ha ha ha..

~PakKaramu~ mengatakan...

Salam ziarah dari Pak Karamu